Local COVID-19 Crisis Doesn't Stop Essential Services at SERVPRO of South Durham and Orange County
When a toilet overflowed in a commercial building affecting three floors and two businesses, during the Orange County government's order to shelter in place, our clients were able to call and depend on SERVPRO of South Durham and Orange County. The shelter in place order closed all businesses except those that provide essential services such as grocery and convenience stores, banks and financial institutions, gas stations, hardware stores, public utilities, healthcare, law enforcement and businesses ensuring business continuity functions such as electricians, HVAC companies, plumbers and restoration companies like SERVPRO of South Durham and Orange County. The more than 1800 SERVPRO franchises throughout the nation are considered essential service providers and are available 24/7/365 during this time of uncertainty and change.
The disaster recovery, emergency mitigation disinfection and restoration services provided by SERVPRO of South Durham and Orange County are necessary to protect public health, safety and essential operation of homes and businesses. As your local franchise SERVPRO of South Durham and Orange County we are here to help and together we will get through the challenges facing us.
Emergency Supply Checklist for your Vehicle
We at SERVPRO of South Durham and Orange County are passionate about emergency preparedness and personal safety no matter the situation. You might hear disaster preparedness warnings in regard to what emergency supplies you should keep in your home, but have you given any thought about your vehicle? Here are some things you should consider:
- How much time do you spend in your vehicle?
- Do you take extra supplies for long trips?
- What would you do in the event of bad weather, car trouble or a flat tire that could cause you to become stranded?
The National Safety Council recommends an array of items to keep in your vehicle and most of these items depend on the distance and landscape that you travel. Every vehicle should have an emergency supply kit located in the trunk. These kits should be checked every six months, and expired items should be replaced to keep it up to date. The vehicle emergency kit should include the following:
- A properly inflated spare tire, wheel wrench and tripod jack
- Jumper cables
- Tool kit and/or multipurpose utility tool
- Flashlight along with extra batteries
- Reflective triangles and brightly colored cloth to make your vehicle more viable
- First aid kit with gauze, tape, bandages, antibiotic ointment, aspirin, a blanket, non-latex gloves, scissors, hydrocortisone, thermometer, tweezers and instant cold compress
- Nonperishable, high-energy foods, such as unsalted nuts, dried fruits and hard candy
- Drinking water
- Reflective vest in case you need to walk to get help
- Car charger for your cell phone
- Fire extinguisher
- Duct tape
- Rain poncho
- Additional items for cold weather include a snow brush, shovel, windshield waster fluid, warm clothing, cat litter for traction and blankets
It's also a good idea to keep family and emergency phone numbers, including your auto insurance provider and a towing company, in your phone and even on paper in cause your phones loses battery/power. Equip your vehicles and stay safe. Always expect the unexpected and you will never be ill prepared.
We Are an IICRC Certified Firm
SERVPRO of South Durham and Orange County is an Institute of Inspection, Clean and Restoration Certification (IICRC) Certified Firm.
As an IICRC Certified Firm we must:
- Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up to date on the latest changes in the industry.
- Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of in accident.
- Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
- Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
- Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
The water damage restoration field changes rapidly with advancements in technology and science and therefore the standards must evolve to keep pace. Every five years the standards of the IICRC are reviewed and updated accordingly.
Categories and Classes of Water Damage
Not everyone knows that water damage has different categories and classes, and just because it is a low category doesn't mean that is is a low class.
Categories of Water Damage
Assessing the severity of the damage is important for determining what is needed to start the water loss repair and mitigation.
Category 1 - clean water, or water that does not pose a threat to humans. Possible causes of this type of damage include broken appliances or sink overflows.
Category 2 - gray water, this means that the water is contaminated and may cause sickness if ingested. This type of water contains microorganisms. Broken toilets, broken sump pumps and seepage may cause category 2 water damage.
Category 3 - black water, this type of water is unsanitary, as it contains bacteria and other organisms that cause sickness. The possible sources of black water damage include sewage problems and contamination of standing water.
Classes of Water Damage
The class of damage is important when assessing water damage repair options.
Class 1 is the least harmful form of damage. Materials absorb very little of the water from this type of damage. Water damage repair is the easiest in this type of situation.
Class 2 has a fast rate of evaporation, which means that carpets and cushions may be damaged. Water damage repair is more difficult when it involves class 2 damage.
Class 3 has the fastest rate of evaporation. In this case, the water may come from broken sprinklers or other overhead sources, soaking the walls and furniture.
Class 4 requires special water restoration and water removal procedures. This type of damage may affect hardwood floors, plaster and concrete.
If your home or business experience a water loss or water damage, call us here at SERVPRO of South Durham and Orange County, the leading water removal and restoration company, dedicated to protecting your biggest investment, at 919-596-1242.
The Coronavirus (COVID-19) has much of the world in a panic, and it is understandable as to why with the death toll rising and the symptoms are in close resemblance to the flu. So, lets discuss the main thing that you can do, prevention.
Practice everyday preventive actions now. Remind everyone in your household or workplace of the importance of practicing everyday preventive actions that can help prevent the spread of respiratory illnesses:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick, except to get medical care.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue.
- Clean frequently touched surfaces and objects daily (i.e., tables, counter tops, light switches, doorknobs, cabinet handles, desks, keyboards, phones and printers) using a regular detergent and water.
- If surfaces are dirty, they should be cleaned using a detergent and water prior to disinfection. For disinfection a list of products with Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) - approved emerging viral pathogens claims, maintained but the American Chemistry Council Center for Biocide Chemistries (CBC) is available at Novel Coronavirus (COVD-19) Fighting Products. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions for all cleaning and disinfection products.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Always wash your hands with soap and water if your hands are visibly dirty.
Steps for Mold Remediation
When you contact us here at SERVPRO of South Durham and Orange County with a mold problem we will start the process with getting some basic information from you, once we get that information we will move on to an estimate. This entails us sending one of our Project Managers to your home or business to see where you believe there is mold. Our Project Manager always tries to identify what is causing the mold to form if there appears to be any.
There are several causes of fungal growth. Some of the most common causes are high humidity, moisture in the walls and leaking pipes. If you would like to know what exactly your fungal growth is we have an Industrial Hygienist that we can refer you to.
Once our Project Manager comes out to your location and finds the source of the mold growth and has an idea of what is going on in the space where the growth is, he will come back to the office to form an estimate for your property, The estimate will contain details, line by line, what our SERVPRO team will do to rid your property of the mold. The total cost for the job will also be disclosed in this estimate.
After you review the estimate and approve the work to be done at the property we will schedule our technicians to come and rid your property of the mold. During the remediation process you will be updated regularly to ensure you do not have any questions or answer and questions that you might have.
Equipment Used by SERVPRO of South Durham and Orange County
- Moisture Sensor: Used to detect moisture in carpets, baseboards and walls.
- Moisture Meters: Used to determine the actual moisture content of various materials. The moisture tester provides accurate readings, allowing us to monitor to drying process in your home or business.
- Thermo Hygrometers: Measure temperature and relative humidity. When armed with this information we can calculate and create an environment most conductive to drying. When facing a contaminated water loss, it is not only important to dry the structure, but the structure must also be disinfected and often deodorized.
- Infrared Camera: These are used to identify areas of investigation for water damage and document its location with our having to cut into walls.
- Video Borescope: There are used as a noninvasive way to capture images in hard to see locations. They are great to use for duct cleaning, before and after inspections of areas that are difficult to see such as wall cavities, under cabinets, appliances and hollow voids.
- Dehumidifier: These remove moisture from the air. They are particularly useful in basements.
- Air Scrubber: There are portable filtration systems that remove particles, gases and/or chemicals from the air within a given area. They draw air in from the surrounding environment and pass it through a series of filters to remove contaminants.
- Ultra-Low Volume Fogger: These will atomize liquid deodorizing agents producing a fine mist that can easily penetrate the site where odor-causing residues may accumulate. This device can also be used to inject fungicides and disinfectants into wall cavities and other hard to reach areas.
- Thermal Foggers: These dispense solvent based products by creating a dense fog. The fog consists of tiny particles of deodorant solution that attach to and neutralize odor causing particles.
- Injectidry Floor System: This is used to dry areas of hidden moisture in and under various types of flooring and sub-flooring. It is especially helpful in drying hardwood floors/
Hillsborough Police Department Calls SERVPRO of South Durham and Orange County
When the Town of Hillsborough Police Substation had a Sewage Backup on November 1, 2019, they did not hesitate to call SERVPRO of South Durham and Orange County to mitigate the damage and make it, "Like it never even happened."
Since SERVPRO of South Durham and Orange County is locally owned and operated we were able to get there quickly with our experienced team and start the mitigation process. Sewage Backup is unsanitary and my contain bacteria and viruses that could cause serious illness, the Town of Hillsborough Police Substation knew that we have the special training and equipment necessary to safely clean this type of contamination.
SERVPRO of South Durham and Orange County is proud to be able to assist our local law enforcement and the Town of Hillsborough.
It's not a good feeling to enter your South Durham home or business and smell a musty odor or see a strange substance on the walls, ceiling or flooring area. you may wonder if it may be mold, why it's there, and how to properly clean it. SERVPRO of South Durham and Orange County's crews are ready to properly re-mediate any mold issues in your home or business.
What is Mold?
- Molds are part of the natural environment, and can be found everywhere, indoors and outdoors. When mold is indoors, it can cause problems. Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions) and irritants. Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. It's important to find out why the mold is there and re-mediate it properly.
- Mold needs moisture to grow. The way to control mold growth indoors is to control moisture. Oftentimes mold will grow on areas that have been affected by a leak, or other water intrusion. The presence of moisture allowed the mold to grow on a source of food, such as drywall, wood, vinyl or other surfaces.
- If you discover a mold problem, don't wait to address the issue. Mold damages what it grows on. The longer it grows, the more damage it can cause. It's strongly recommended that if the affected area is over 10 square feet, that professional mold remediation is performed to prevent causing further issues.
- Fix plumbing leaks and other water problems as soon as possible. Dry all items completely.
- Scrub mold off hard surfaces with detergent and water, and dry completely.
- Absorbent or porous materials, such as ceiling tiles and carpet, may have to be thrown away if they become moldy. mold can grow on or fill in the empty spaces and crevices of porous materials, so the mold may be difficult or impossible to remove completely.
- Do not paint or caulk moldy surfaces. Clean up the mold and dry the surfaces before painting. Paint applied over moldy surfaces is likely to peel.
Our expert crews at SERVPRO of South Durham and Orange County are prepared should you suspect a mold issue. We're ready to help identify the source, dry the area, re-mediate the mold, and assist in the verification of air quality. No matter the size of the area affected, should you suspect your home or business is affected with mold growth, SERVPRO of South Durham and Orange County is ready to provide professional remediation services.
Are you Emergency Ready?
A failed water heater or pipe burst can cause major damage and interrupt your business. On average 50% of all businesses never recover from a major disaster. Planning ahead is the #1 way to minimize business interruption. SERVPRO of South Durham Orange County can assist your commercial business with a no cost Emergency Ready Plan that provides critical information to mitigate damage. Key features of the Emergency Ready Plan are:
- Assessment of the building at no charge to identify shutoffs for water, electric and gas.
- A concise profile of critical emergency contracts and vendors.
- A mobile app, so the information is always available.
- Establishing a clear chain of command for mitigation to begin.
- Establishes SERVPRO of South Durham and Orange County as your disaster mitigation and restoration company.
SERVPRO of South Durham and Orange County is here to help any time, day or night. Call us at 919-245-0788 to get Emergency Ready.