Preparing for Inclement Weather
You can’t stop storms from occurring but you can have a plan when inclement weather strikes. As springtime ushers in warmer weather and the budding of flowers, it is also a time for storms. Severe weather can come in the form of thunderstorms, hurricanes, tornadoes and flooding. Each of these events can pose a serious threat to human life and property. An action plan entails:
- Having a safe place to go in event of a tornado, such as a basement, interior closet, or if caught outside in a low lying ditch. Never stay in a mobile home. Stay away from windows.
- Fully charge your cell phone prior to the storm event
- Have a back-up power source to charge your phone
- Have a severe weather alert on your cell phone to provides up to the minute storm news
- Have flashlights and batteries
- Have an adequate supply of bottled water and nonperishable food.
- Have a portable radio and a fully charged cell phone.
- Pull out cash from the bank prior to the event to be able to make purchases if necessary.
- Fill your car with gas prior to the event.
- Have provisions for pets
Most importantly stay safe.